Saturday, January 10, 2015

New Citadel Paint Dropper Bottles.

Hi well not really new as such folks more of a new way to keep your Citadel paints from drying out.

It drives me mad the way that the flip top lid creeps up at the back after constant use of any particular paint, paint drips and dries over and over again around the rim to the point that I've had to almost get a chisel out to remove the dried paint just to close the lid, of course Im talking of the Citadel pot such a poor design, I know i should wipe the pot every time I use it but hey I'm a busy boy and frankly cant be arsed and so have had to throw away several paints due to them deteriorating in quality though poor pot design and my laziness.


More often than not it seems I'm buying paints from manufactures other than Games Workshop maybe its because I own nearly all of the range or that another brands may have a shade I like in any case I've found Dropper Bottles to be a far Superior container for the paint.

I'm also thinking of the upcoming Airbrush purchase so dropper bottles are the way to go, I shudder at the thought of flip top lids and squeezy pipettes!, that's the stuff of nightmares.


Look at this sad looking mother, this is what I'm talking of...."The Back Lid Creeper" shocking stuff!.


So what I did was I tuned in to eBay on the old computer and bought myself 2x50 Dropper Bottles for ten pound plus shipping, sure that's cheap and the mould quality reflects this..... a bit like Mantics Miniatures lol, anyway guys I suggest that if you buy these you should like me trim the mould lines at the base so that the bottles stand straight, it sounds like I making them out to be pants they arnt I just want them standing straight on my shelf, you can buy more expensive bottles but whats the point I would rather spend the money on mini's and other shiny things.


I'm sure theres different ways of getting the paint from one pot to another but this is what I did, firstly i removed the lid and ring.


I then depending on the thickness of the paint (Layer or Base) added 10 or 15 drops of water and shook to make the paint flow better.


Making a cone shape with paper and tape I stuck it to a shelf  and popped the pot in, 5 Min's and the deed is done.


One good thing about Citadel pots is that the label comes off easily, I trimmed off both sides don't need a bar code or where its made just the colour name.


And its done!, sure theres a little wastage maybe about 10% but how many pots have I thrown away due to them drying out and besides with my airbrush on the horizon this will make my life so much easier.



19 comments:

  1. Nice Jamie! I've thought about doing this for so long...Once you get used to using a palette, the dropper bottles are a massive time saver! Did you just get 20ml droppers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg

      No thwy are 15ml bottles, figured that would be ok as the citadel range is only 12ml, only 60ish to go!

      Delete
  2. This is awesome, I'm trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get through loads of bottles of Army Painter, Strong, Dark and Soft Tone, they come in dropper bottles. You con pull out the dropper tip as per your purchase, clean them [easier because it's a wash] and repurpose them for free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tip Dave, no point in spending money if you already have the kit to recycle;)

      Delete
  4. Just a couple of dieas to add:

    Fix the bottle to your worktop with a blob of blu tac, it will help prevent knocking it over by accident!

    Buy a small cheap funnel from ebay or Amazon, mine cost me less than £1.00.

    Don't use water to thin the paint, try using Flow Improver, I use Winsor & Newton's Galleria, it will also help save those paints that have started to thicken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Neil appreciate you tips and ideas fella.

    Not so sure that the water makes any difference as Citadel are water based acrylic paints anyway but get your point, I do however use a Flow Improver different brand though (Golden), its great for letting the paint flow better and slows the drying time for a cleaner finish.

    .....and yep a plastic funnel would be easier ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. been thinking of this for a while... thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No prob's Paul, I find it alot easier now all my paints are in dropper bottles.

      Delete
  7. Great idea, I've been putting off doing tthis, but I'm gonna revisit this little project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did you apply the labels to the new bottles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, The labels were still sticky when removed so all I did was to cut them square with scissors and then popped them on to the new bottles.

      Delete
  9. Filed under “why didn’t I think of it”. Bonus, only need one type of rack for storage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. we offer professional-looking tincture bottle boxes. the tincture bottle boxes in different designs and colors chosen by the finest designers in the industry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. custom tincture bottle boxes with logo which will readily accelerate the marketing of your product and brand.
    tincture bottle boxes

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dropper Bottle Labels are the ideal solution for identifying the contents of a bottle and dispensing nutraceuticals such as herbal extracts and plant extracts. Designed to adhere to glass or plastic, they offer colorfast, waterproof and water-resistant properties. They also provide a professional-looking label that read quickly.

    ReplyDelete