Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Painting 40K faces.

Hi guys, well with the three Tac squads I have planned for my new Scythes force I've decided to have within them a considerable amount of none helmeted marines so this means I have to learn how to paint a half decent face or ten, this is going to be a bit of a challenge for me as all previous attempts if I'm honest have been epic failures, the challenge is all the more difficult due to my want to represent different skin tones from white to black and everything inbetween.




Although the eyes look a little boss eyed (must work on pupil positioning) I'm quite pleased with this first attempt with the new Vallejo face paints set I have in my possession.




The set comprises of eight paints and a use full step by step guide for two different skin tones both caucasian, the model's they use for their example's however are a lot larger than 28mm and I found it difficult to recreate some of the techniques shown, in most part due to the smallness of the head and my relative new status as a painter, in truth though its a good guide and gives you insight into light and shade within skin tones but as the name suggests it's a guide and not something to be stuck to religiously.

4 comments:

  1. The scruff or shaved hair look looks spot on. Really well done. I can't comment on the eyes because I have no idea on how to do them myself. Skin tone looks good as well. They'll only get better as you do them all :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg and I'll keep at it, read somewhere that a tooth pick's good for sorting pupil's out so may give that a crack, definite lack of quality how to youtube vid's on painting black skin so if I get anything like real may have to pop one up myself :)

      Delete
  2. My biggest tip for painting eyes is don't make the pupil too small. They tend to look boss eyed if there's too much 'white' showing. Have a look at some pictures of real faces and you'll see that most of the time, the iris an pupil extend beyond where the eyelid stops, so you only get white at the corners of the eyes.

    Try and fill the middle half of the eye, leaving 1/4 white on each side, they'll look much better.

    Other than that, the sample head shown looks brilliant - I try to avoid bare heads wherever possible so kudos to you sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the complement Nick and I'll definitely take what you said about the eyes and apply it to my next test head, make sense when when its put like that ;)

      Delete